Lot 5: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPEDITION TO SOUTH AFRICA: CAPE TOWN AND WILDLIFE SAFARI WITH NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC PHOTOGRAPHER [2 GUESTS]
Catalog Note: From the dramatic shores of Cape Town to the Lowveld, where all manner of wildlife roams, South Africa is a land of spectacular diversity. During a weeklong National Geographic expedition, delve into Cape Town’s vibrant art scene and discover the vineyards and villages of the Cape Winelands on private tours. Then journey to the Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve for a wildlife safari and three nights at a National Geographic Unique Lodge of the World.
Start in historic Cape Town, where you will spend two days exploring world-class museums and galleries. Settle into a stunning room at the Ellerman House, exclusive accommodations with an on-site art gallery. Tour the spectacular Zeitz MoCAA, a newly opened private contemporary art museum, with one of the museum’s lead curators. Discover city landmarks such as the Company’s Garden, Green Market Square, and St. George’s Cathedral. Then visit the colorful Bo Kaap neighborhood to learn more about local arts initiatives keeping the Cape Malay culture alive.
Spend a day discovering South Africa’s stunning Cape Winelands region with your private guide. The charming town of Stellenbosch, set among rolling hills, will become your palatal playground as you try local coffee blends and enjoy a wine-and-olive pairing. Learn more about local wine estates in the Cape Dutch town of Franschhoek where you will sample several of the region’s finest award-winners.
Fly to the Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve, part of the world-famous Greater Kruger National Park. Over the next three days, you will set off into the bush on a thrilling private safari experience far from the crowds. A professional National Geographic photographer will join you to offer tips on wildlife photography as you frame hyenas, lions, elephants, leopards, and more of Africa’s legendary creatures. Each night, enjoy a gourmet meal under the stars and retire to your stunning suite at the artfully decorated Sabi Sabi Little Bush Camp, a member of the National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World collection.
Proceeds from this experience will benefit the National Geographic Society. A global nonprofit organization committed to exploring and protecting our planet, the National Geographic Society funds hundreds of research and conservation projects around the world each year while inspiring new generations through education initiatives and resources.
- National Geographic guided trip for two through South Africa, including Cape Town, the Cape Winelands, and Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve.
- Suggested month of travel is April 2018 (The winner of the auction may select any trip dates in 2018, subject to availability).
- South African guides.
- Accommodation as indicated in the itinerary (subject to change based on availability).
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary.
- Domestic spirits, beer, wine, and soft drinks at Ellerman House and Sabi Sabi Little Bush Camp.
- Private vehicle at the Sabi Sabi Little Bush Camp.
- Activities as indicated in the itinerary.
- Entrance fees to sites as indicated in the itinerary.
- Airport transfers.
- Ground transportation as indicated in the itinerary.
- Private tour with chief curator or executive director of the Zeitz Mocaa Museum (subject to availability).
- National Geographic photographer from days 4–7.
- Included features are fully articulated in the itinerary: Sothebys.com/NatGeoSouthAfrica.
Does NOT Include:
- International flights (USA – Cape Town/CPT; Johannesburg/JNB – USA).
- International airport departure taxes (included in most international tickets).
- Meals not noted as included (discretionary).
- Beverages (discretionary).
- Travel insurance (discretionary).
- Tips and gratuities (discretionary – tipping guidelines will be provided prior to departure).
- Passport fees, visas, and visa photos as required.
- Phone calls, laundry, and other items of a personal nature (discretionary).
-Any other items not specifically noted as included.
Exclusions and Restrictions:
-Travel dates must fall within the 2018 calendar year.
- National Geographic Expeditions will assist the auction winner in selecting mutually agreeable trip dates, subject to availability.
- Travel dates that are outside of the suggested month of travel (April 2018) may incur additional costs.
- No accommodations are being held at this stage. Accommodations are subject to change based on availability at the time of confirmation of the agreed travel dates.
- Domestic flights included in the itinerary are quoted in economy class. Upgraded seats will result in supplemental costs.
- Any changes to the proposed itinerary may incur additional fees.
- Travel is subject to acceptance of National Geographic Expeditions Terms and Conditions.
- Sotheby's will share your information with IfOnly for purposes of the fulfillment of the experience and IfOnly will share such information with National Geographic.
- Purchaser and any participant must complete the National Geographic Expeditions registration process by signing the applicable terms and conditions and providing any required information in order to be eligible for travel with National Geographic Expeditions.
- Please note you must approve National Geographic’s Terms and Conditions of sale which can be found by visiting Sothebys.com/NatGeoTermsandConditions. Additionally an itinerary for the trip can be found at Sothebys.com/NatGeoSouthAfrica.
Accepted Forms of Payment
American Express, COD (cash on delivery), MasterCard, Money Order / Cashiers Check, Other, Personal Check, Visa, Wire Transfer
Conditions of Sale
You agree to pay a buyer's premium of up to 0.0% and any applicable taxes and shipping
SOTHEBY'S OFFERS A COMPREHENSIVE SHIPPING SERVICE TO MEET ALL OF YOUR REQUIREMENTS.
IF YOU RECEIVED A SHIPPING QUOTATION OR HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SERVICES WE OFFER PLEASE CONTACT US.
COLLECTION AND DELIVERY
POST SALE SERVICES
+ 1 212 606 7444
FAX: + 1 212 606 7043
ONCE YOUR PAYMENT HAS BEEN RECEIVED AND CLEARED, PROPERTY MAY BE RELEASED. UNLESS OTHERWISE AGREED BY SOTHEBY'S, ALL PURCHASES MUST BE REMOVED BY THE 30TH CALENDAR DAY FOLLOWING A SALE.
COLLECTING YOUR PROPERTY
AS A COURTESY TO PURCHASERS WHO COME TO SOTHEBY'S TO COLLECT PROPERTY, SOTHEBY'S WILL ASSIST IN THE PACKING OF LOTS, ALTHOUGH SOTHEBY'S MAY, IN THE CASE OF FRAGILE ARTICLES, CHOOSE NOT TO PACK OR OTHERWISE HANDLE A PURCHASE.
IF YOU ARE USING YOUR OWN SHIPPER TO COLLECT PROPERTY FROM SOTHEBY'S, PLEASE PROVIDE A LETTER OF AUTHORIZATION AND KINDLY INSTRUCT YOUR SHIPPER THAT THEY MUST PROVIDE A BILL OF LADING PRIOR TO COLLECTION. BOTH DOCUMENTS MUST BE SENT TO POST SALE SERVICES PRIOR TO COLLECTION.
THE BILL OF LADING MUST INCLUDE: THE PURCHASER'S FULL NAME, THE FULL DELIVERY ADDRESS INCLUDING THE STREET NAME AND NUMBER, CITY AND STATE OR CITY AND COUNTRY, THE SALE AND LOT NUMBER.
SOTHEBY'S WILL CONTACT YOUR SHIPPER WITHIN 24 HOURS OF RECEIPT OF THE BILL OF LADING TO CONFIRM THE DATE AND TIME THAT YOUR PROPERTY CAN BE COLLECTED. PROPERTY WILL NOT BE RELEASED WITHOUT THIS CONFIRMATION AND YOUR SHIPPER MUST BRING THE SAME BILL OF LADING THAT WAS FAXED TO SOTHEBY'S WHEN COLLECTING. ALL PROPERTY RELEASES ARE SUBJECT TO THE RECEIPT OF CLEARED FUNDS.
PLEASE SEE THE CONDITIONS OF SALE FOR FURTHER DETAILS.